I am usually very impressed to hear these phrases:
“I eat very healthily” “I eat soooo healthy” “my diet is very healthy”
I say I´m impressed because right after I hear the person say one of those phrases they say that they take a sugary yogurt every morning, or an orange juice, drink coke, or eats sausages every day, or that they only buy “light” products, that eat white bread every day … and things like this. This is where I realized that we have no idea what things are healthy and, what is worse, we are convinced that what we consume is healthy.
This may be due to the “misleading” advertising of many products or customs that we have never questioned.
When I decided to open this blog my idea was to share ideas to improve our habits and of course recipes that accompany those new or better habits.
So today I want to share a small list to take into account when we go shopping and when we take decisions about what we eat, and if you do not agree with me at least I hope that it generates the need to investigate, and if you decide to eat a sugary yogurt, for example, you know that it is not as healthy as you thought.
- Consume less processed products and more “raw materials”
- Check the labels of what you buy, get products with less than 5 ingredients.
- Change to whole wheat bread, check that the label says that they use more than 70% whole wheat flour (there is a lot of deception with whole grain breads). Also try bread made with other flours such as spelt, rye, etc.
- Eat lots of fruit, not juices, but the piece of fruit, and it does not matter what time you eat it.
- Buy natural yogurts and if you need to sweeten them do it with fruit.
- Reduce processed sugar to a minimum so that your palate becomes used to eating less sweet.
- Eat healthy fats: avocado, nuts, fish, olive oil.
- Eliminate sugary drinks and sodas.
- Do not be fooled by the advertising and packaging of a product, read the label, “natural”, “bio”, “healthy” in the packaging is not necessarily real.
- Remember that all this also applies to children, they are growing and need the best, they do not need that pile of added sugar in cookies, cereals, chocolate drinks, etc.
I’ll stop here so you don’t get bored of me … hahaha.
Have a great day,